Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Jealousy

Litany
by Billy Collins

"There is no way you are the pine scented air"

I think its just so funny that he takes starts his inspiration from something that's supposed to be serious, after all it is a love poem, and turns it into something funny. I just love how he can take from other people but still make it his own. Like when he starts adding the "you are not..." in there. And the way he finishes it just adds so much

"But don't worry I am not the bread and the knife you are still the bread and the knife. You will always be the bread and the knife not to mention the crystal goblet and somehow the wine"

I wish I could be like Billy Collins and get inspiration from someone else
but make it completely my own and make it just unforgettable.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem. A student last year had a quote from this in her journal, which made me look it up. The quote she had made the poem sound very serious and deep. But as you know, the poem is quite funny. But it's awesome how Billy Collins can be both serious and funny. I don't know how he does it. I'm still trying (and failing) myself. My advice to you is to keep trying. So will I.

    ReplyDelete